Complete Guide on using Selfie Stick and Monopods
What is a SELFIE stick for?
A selfie stick is a monopod used to take selfie photographs by positioning a smartphone or camera beyond the normal range of the arm. The metal sticks are typically extensible, with a handle on one end and an adjustable clamp on the other end to hold a phone in place.
Who came up with the SELFIE stick?
Canadian inventor Wayne Fromm patented his “Quik Pod” in 2005. Phone-holding rods have been available in the United States since at least 2011, with an iStabilizer-branded monopod going on sale in 2012. The selfie stick was listed in Time magazine’s 25 best inventions of 2014.
How much is the cost of SELFIE stick?
With the advent of smartphones, these objects have been modified. They are a support for different smartphone sizes, telescopic, to be carried easier and they help you take a better selfie. Basically, you have a longer arm. The price range for a selfie stick is about $15 -$99.
Type of devices which can be used with selfie sticks:
Selfie sticks can be used with two types of devices mobile phones and camers:
If you want to use selfie stick with camera you must specifically check if it is compatible with cameras. These selfie sticks have different attachment for camera. There is screw placed in such selfie sticks where camera can be attached. You can remove holder from selfie stick and then attach your camera to it.
Few selfie sticks are used for mobiles and Gopro camera but are not compatible with other cameras. Gopro can be fitted on the camera holder attached to selfie stick or monopod.
If you cannot remove phone holder from selfie stick, probability is that your selfie stick is not compatible with camera. When you attach camera to the camera mount make sure that it fits with it properly otherwise you may damage your camera.
Note : If your selfie stick is not made for cameras you can still try to fit camera in phone holder, it may work if your camera is slim and small. But we do not recommend this because it can damage your camera. You can try this at your own risk.
Suggestion: If you are using camera instead of mobile phone for taking selfies. Please check details of selfie stick before making purchase. Make sure it is compatible with cameras as well as smartphones. If you are purchasing from amazon or any other online website, you can contact seller or ask question on product page to make sure it works with cameras.
Selfie sticks which are made only for mobile phones have mount at the end of stick. This mount or phone holder is extendable to accommodate the smart phone. You can extend the phone holder to fit the phone into it.
There are two types of selfie sticks available with different types of phone holders.
1.Old Type: In this type you have to extent phone holder horizontally to fit your phone into it. Make sure that your phone is properly seated into the mount. Then extend the phone holder vertically until your phone fits into it.
These selfie sticks were popular some time back but have reduced in popularity due to new development in design of selfie sticks which are easy and more comfortable to use and also safe for phones. W e do not recommend these type of selfie sticks anymore, because in same price you can get latest designer selfie stick which are more compact in size, have much better looks and safe for phones.
2.New design selfie sticks: In these selfie sticks you just need to extent the phone holder vertically to fit it between top and bottom of phone holder. After placing your Smartphone between phone holder gently release it, spring will pull both parts to securely fit your mobile phone into it.
Note: For both types of selfie sticks you should tighten the screw at base of phone holder to fix the phone holder to specific angle.
Caution: If are using large size phone then you may have to remove the phone cover before fitting your phone to phone mount, if your phone is not fitting properly into the phone holder.
If you are using a large phone like iPhone 6 which are also heavy in weight then you should get a selfie stick with strong body, also avoid very long selfie sticks because they bend when you extend them.
- Based on connectivity selfie sticks are divided into two types – with Bluetooth and with wire or aux cable.
– Selfie stick with Bluetooth remote/shutter – Before taking selfies with selfie stick make sure that Bluetooth shutter is working properly. Check the power of Bluetooth shutter, either charge it or insert batteries according to requirement of your shutter. Then pair the device using following steps:
– Switch on the bluetooth shutter
– Try to search for the name of the bluetooth shutter (normally stated in the instructions area)
– If you can’t find the device name in your phone’s bluetooth pairing area, try switching off your phone and the bluetooth shutter for five minutes
– Then turn both on again, you should be able to pair them.
– If you still fail to do so, it means that both device are incompatible
– Once connected, open your camera app and click the button on the bluetooth shutter
– You should be able to take photos now.
– If you can’t take any photos although both devices have connected, try downloading Camera 360 app.
– Selfie sticks with inbuilt Bluetooth system:
In these selfie sticks there is no Bluetooth shutter but there is button on selfie stick itself, which you have to press for taking photos. Rest of connectivity procedure is same as above as mentioned in slefie stick with Bluetooth remote/shutter.
– Selfie sticks with Wire/Aux cable:
These selfie sticks are one of the simplest and does not require any Bluetooth connectivity. These selfie sticks just have a wire or Aux cable. You just have to insert this wire into headphone jack and click button on selfie stick/monopod to take photos.
Note: One thing to take care before using this wired selfie stick is that you must change volume button setting in the camera settings of your camera to take photos. If your camera settings do not have such option then you can download camera 360 app from play or apple store for using wired selfie stick.
Best camera app for selfie sticks: Camera 360 is one of best camera app for selfies.
Why Camera 360?
First: It comes with the timer function which is needed when you are using selfie sticks without any bluetooth system.
Second: Some selfie sticks are only compatible with the in-built camera app of famous phone models such as iPhone, Samsung and LG. For other phone models, you will need Camera 360 in order for the bluetooth function to work.
Third: Camera 360 has various functions such as photo editing to improve your selfie experience.
How to Start Taking a Selfie?
– Mount your phone or camera on the selfie stick
– Adjust the angle of the device used and then tighten the screw
– Extend the stick to desired length
– Set the timer (approximately 5 seconds using the Camera 360 app)
– Smile and get ready for your selfie
Common problems faced with selfie sticks and how to solve them:
– Sticks bend down – It’s a common problem with selfie sticks when used with heavy phones like Iphone 6. Solution is to buy good quality selfie stick with sufficient strength to hold heavy phones.
– Camera turns downwards – This problem occurs with low and poor quality selfie sticks. Now good quality selfie sticks have grooved design to prevent twisting of stick, so that it remain in proper position when extended.
– Bluetooth ran out of battery. Normally bluetooth remotes/in-built selfie sticks that run with batteries are more long-lasting compared to those rechargeable ones. Remember to take along a power bank with you during vacations and it should be fine.
– Fail to pair up devices. I found out that by switching off your phone and the bluetooth remote for around 5 minutes and then switching them back on might allow you to pair the devices. This is not a 100% guarantee method, but definitely worth to try.
From where you can buy good quality selfie sticks:
You must do some research before buying a selfie sticks according to your requirements. Here is review of Mystical Master selfie stick with wire which is one of best rated selfie stick on Amazon.
“Mystical Master™ Selfie Stick (3rd Generation) with Wire/Aux Cable (No Bluetooth or Battery) for taking Photos & Videos on all Mobile Phones, Original Premium & High Quality, Light Weight, Long Length, Extendable & Foldable Wired Monopod, Best Price, Black & Golden Colour Selfie Stick for Apple iPhones 4s, 5s, 6, 6s, 6s Plus, Samsung Galaxy, Note, HTC, Android Phones, Gionee, Intex, karbonn, Lenovo, Moto, Micromax, Nokia, Nexus, Oppo, Coolpad, Sony, Redmi, Xiaomi, Xperia”
– Features :
– Our Selfie is Surprisingly Simple – Immediate Plug and Play Connection – No need to worry about Bluetooth connectivity, Charging and Shutter lag seen with Bluetooth Selfie Sticks. Helps you to take Perfect Selfies and Videos without any worry.
– This New Pocket Selfie Stick Protects Expensive Phones from Damage due to fall – Secures Any Phone with Built-in scratch-proof, silicone-padded mount. Tested & quality checked with iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6S, 6+ Plus, 6 Edge, 7 / Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, S6, S6 Edge, Note 2, 3, 4, 5 / HTC / LG / Sony Xperia / Nexus
– Pocket sized, Light weight, Compact and Perfect for any occasion and we offer best quality. Never miss any opportunity to take selfies and videos. Ideal for taking selfies in parties, vacations and during visit to friends and relatives. Folded to small size, can be put into pocket or bag for taking with you everywhere. Available on Cash on Delivery
– Lifetime Guarantee – We are giving lifetime guarantee because we are sure that you will fall in Love with this Selfie Stick. Be assured that you are buying Best Quality. Premium Quality Authentic Product by Mystical Master Compatible with all Android and Apple Mobile Phones.
– The Secret of Making People Like Your Photos – 270 degree adjustable head helps you to take photos and videos from any angle.
– Our Selfie Stick can Save you thousands of Rupees – Built in Scratch proof mount holds your phone safely and tightly to preventing from falling and saving you cost of repair which occurs with poor quality selfie sticks.
– Easy to use & Wins hearts of all – Beautiful and sleek design with golden touch gives you premium feel, everyone will fall in love with your selfie stick and photos you take with it.
– New design feature makes this selfie stick amazing “Best Selfie Stick” – Grooved design helps to prevent twisting of selfie stick when you are taking selfies vertically.
– Take selfies with family and friends – Total extendable length of 80 cms gives you sufficient length, so that whole of your gang is included in photos you click.
– Our Company is committed for 100% customer satisfaction. All the products are checked one by one before packing, so reducing the chance of defect in product.
– More likes on Facebook for your Selfies – Strong built helps you to take stunning pics with our selfie stick, so that your friends fall in love with your Photos.
– Your all time companion and Makes your Life Easy– Due to its compact & portable size you can easily carry it in your pocket or bag. Have fun with your family and friends during travel or vacations.
– Thousands of satisfied customers throughout country – Our customers are really happy and satisfied with this product. One of our customers called it “Magic Stick”.
– Best Selfie Stick you will ever see.
– What our Customers say:
1. It took me 30 seconds after taking it out of the box to figure out how to use this product. On the box it tells you how to connect via Wire to your phone, simply plug in and start taking selfies. Product seemed pretty self-explanatory. Plug the headphone input into the phone, clip the phone in, turn on the camera app and press the button. It works through the headphone input so you don’t need to worry about Bluetooth pairing or batteries, which is why I bought this model. Golden base gives it an elegant look. Authenticity card inside packing is nice thing which i liked a lot. It’s lightweight and easy to expand and collapse. It fits nicely in my handbag so I can take it with me. It’s incredibly hassle-free and I’m very happy with my product!!
2. I’m not a tech loving person. I very rarely take photos of myself and the idea of having a stick/monopod for taking selfies of myself is difficult to me.
But this does not prevent me from reviewing the thing. What can I say? It’s tiny and it works. It’s pocketable and it uses a “headphone jack” style of shutter rather than bluetooth that some other sets use – whether or not this is important to you may be a good factor in choosing what selfie stick you pick up. Its gets the work done, idea of using wire for connectivity looks good to me than using Bluetooth connectivity.
Take care of one thing, that the “clamps” aren’t pressing down on your volume buttons. The first time I tried to use the stick I was unable to get a shot off because the volume button was being pressed and phone was not taking pics.
Other than that, it’s a graet selfie stick. The telescoping rod and clamp are strong enough to hold my phone with no worries, and your phone is pretty safe. The button presses with a nice sturdy “click” and the whole thing breaks down into a very small package that’s easy to fit into your pocket. If taking selfies and posting them online are your thing, you really can’t resist this Mystical Master selfie stick.
3. Hello, I was very excited for this selfie stick as this is my first selfie stick. I didn’t want any troubles( returns, exchanges and blah) after buying so searched alot found this one. Order it as soon as I could. And I received it today itself. A very fast deliver even. So, if you are willing to buy this then please just don’t hesitate at all. This is PERFECT. I’m in love with this. This is the best.. fits perfect. I’m a moto g 2 user and it works well with my phone. Just go for this.. worth the money. ❤ And yes, the lenght is as it should be. Yaay I’m so happy. 🙂
By Bidisha Lahiri
4. Superb one.. I liked the handling of phone by this stick. It is actually fitting to all phones.. Also button for clicking is working great.. After a long wait i found this great selfie stick..